Sunday, December 20, 2009

My dog


It appears my dog has separation anxiety in a very bad way. Poor dog scratched through the fence in the backyard. This is not the first time he's done it. This time though it was harder for him to do it and it left blood on the boards. I think it is from his paw but I can't exactly tell. His nose is scratched up too. All of this has me worried. Not just because he broke through the fence again and hurt himself but because the last few months his behavior has really changed. He's become much more territorial and aggressive when someone walks past our house. Heaven to Betsy if you come to my house while I'm not here and just the kids he will bark like he's going to tear you up. My dog is also going blind. I think that may have something to do with all this dramatic change in behavior. I would say the last six months he's been getting progressively worse. He seems to be fine when I'm with him, but as soon as I leave, it gets bad.

For now, we'll crate him and see how that works. I'm going to crate him while I'm home and when I leave with a chew toy to keep him happy. Honestly and seriously, I am afraid that he's just getting older and these are all the signs of an aging dog. His vet appointment is in January for his shots and check-up. We don't know what we'll do if this dog is ready to move on. He's been such a good dog but he's just getting old.

No comments: