Thursday, February 4, 2010

Letting Emily Go-

Emily came home from church last week with a flyer about a conference in Denver for girls. Our church girls group is going and she really wanted to go. It's overnight. It's overnight and an hour away. I can hardly breathe for the thought of her going. I tell myself that no matter what I can not prevent her from having a seizure. I can only make sure the people with her will know what to do if she has one. My heart aches and rips and the thought of her being out of my sight for so long. A slumber party in town is one thing but a slumber party in another town is quite another story.

I fear not only that she'll have a seizure but that I can't protect her from other people if she does. People, especially tween girls, can be so mean. I don't want her to have to go through that. Yes. I want to put her in my pocket and carry her around the rest of her life. It would be much easier on me.

Emily is growing up. Epilepsy is not going away. She's going to be an adult with Epilepsy. If I could make it not be true I would make it not be true. Who will remind her to take her medicine?

The whole cell-phone question is now a reality. We are getting a cell phone for the girls to use. She must be able to get a hold of me if she needs to get a hold of me. No questions asked.

My Emily is growing up. I have to deal with that. She does.

No comments: